Greetings in the Lord! My name is Matthew Perry, and I’m glad you stopped by Confessions of a Colorado Pastor. I pray that this blog will be of benefit to you who preach the gospel week in and week out, as well as to those who sit under gospel preaching each week. Allow me to share a bit of my testimony with you.
What are the distinctives about this blog? The vision here is as follows:
- To help connect the gospel of Jesus Christ to the various avenues we travel in everyday life;
- To show and defend the authority of the Scriptures in the spirit of 1 Peter 3:15;
- To uphold the sovereignty of God in all things;
- To plant the seeds of the gospel so hearts are ready when God causes the growth;
- To reinforce Scripture’s mandate that the church is “the pillar and ground of the truth” (1 Timothy 3:15) and puts on display “the manifold wisdom of God” (Ephesians 3:10).
What Are Some Distinctives about the Author?
- I am a Christian: I have been a follower of Christ since I was almost a teenager.
- I am a Pastor: I surrendered to God’s call to ministry when I was 18 years old.
- I am Great Commission Baptist: … of the Southern Baptist Convention.
- I am Evangelical: I believe that the Gospel (i.e., Good News) of Jesus Christ is the only way we can be made righteous and fit for heaven. The Good News is about what Christ already accomplished for our sins in reconciling us to God.
- I am Reformed: I hold to salvation by grace alone through faith alone as a gift from God alone through Christ alone. We do not have the spiritual wherewithal to choose Christ (Romans 3:10) so Christ came and rescued us by His own initiative for His own glory.
At the age of 18, after graduating from Central Florida Community College, I enrolled at Palm Beach Atlantic College (now University) in West Palm Beach, FL, as a Church Music major. What a tremendous opportunity! Learning the discipline being trained in classical music, being around other Christians of the same age, and studying at an institution with a Christian worldview — praise God from whom ALL blessings flow.
I went on to study Church Music at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY. Upon graduation, I served at the First Baptist Church of Clewiston, FL, as minister of music and youth. It was there that God called me in a different direction. In June of 1999 while taking 18 of his youth to youth camp, God impressed upon me a new area of ministry with these words: “I want you to preach!” As someone involved with music my whole life, this was no easy submission. But finally, after 18 months of soul-searching and prayer, I announced that he would leave Clewiston and return to seminary for what many say is a “preaching degree.”
I finished my M.Div. degree from Southern as well as a Doctor of Ministry program in Expository Preaching at Southern. Soon, I’ll be starting PhD work at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary in Mill Valley, CA, pursuing a degree in Pastoral Theology (for now).
I serve as pastor of Arapahoe Road Baptist Church in Centennial, Colorado in the Denver Metro area. Through the preaching of the Word of God, a commitment to be On-Mission for Christ through evangelism and missions, and a desire to disciple and foster fellowship among the followers of Jesus Christ, we pray that God will continue to do great things among this family of faith as He has for the past 50+ years.